Sunday, September 25, 2011

University, not college.

Hello family and friends! It has been a somewhat busy week for me here in the UK. I had an international meet and greet on Wednesday, the 21st of September. I was supposed to meet at the school at 10:00 am but my train was over 20 minutes late and I missed my first meeting (Oops.) It was not a big deal though, there were many meetings throughout the rest of the day that I had to sit through and become really really bored.

My first day of University was ok. They call it University here. It is never called college because college is when a Brit is 16 and 17 and is before one goes to University. They don't have 4 years of "highschool." There were about 200 international students that attended the meetings on Wednesday. I know that there was one other American, but I couldn't find her. It was a very awkward day. At my home university, Black Hills State, the international students hang out with each other. If you are Asian you hang out with Asians, Polish hang out with Polish, etc. It was EXACTLY the same on Wednesday. Languages were being spoken all around me and I did not understand any of them. Every student was looking for another student from their own country. I gave up looking for an American about halfway through the day. I don't want to be that person that only has American friends while I am in another country. I think I will try to find some british girls to talk to in class. British people are more fun anyway. (my opinion.)

On Thursday I skipped my meetings because they were pointless, and stayed home. On Friday I had to meet my international advisor and it went well. I found out that I will meet my academic advisor on Monday and get my timetable (schedule) and student card next week. Next week is Freshers week at the school which is why we don't have classes. Freshers week is a pretty big deal I think. I know that there are massive parties and clubs are crazy with students. A whole week of partying before starting classes? Why not.

O yeah, I thought I would mention that my university has 2 bars. Like, inside the university. Have an hour between classes? Just walk to the Student Union for a pint. This would never work in America in my opinion, where college students drink only to get drunk. Messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment