Monday, September 12, 2011

I have noticed as I write this blog that I have been writing a lot of stories. I love writing about what I did yesterday or the day before but what is getting lost in my stories are the little things. The little aspects about England that I do not have enough space to write about or seems too far off the subject when I am writing my stories. The little things, though, are my favorite things. The things that I am getting used to or things I feel like I will never get used to. I have only been in England for a little over 2 weeks but it feels like I have lived here for months. I want to tell you about the England that I experience so my stories make a bit more sense to you.

The little things

1. Weather: I thought everyone was joking when they talked about how cloudy and miserable England's weather is. Well, they were NOT joking. England's weather really is terrible. It is cloudy every day here and I am not exaggerating. I want to go for a run, and it rains. On the plus side, I rarely have to worry about heat and sweating and I never really have to do my hair.


2. Food: I love bacon sandwiches. I love England's cheese. When we were in America, Harvey refused to eat American cheese that comes individually wrapped in plastic. Now I know why. I have bought mild cheddar cheese from the store and it is the tastiest most delicious cheese. We process everything so much in America. It is disgusting. The bacon here is thick, salty, and covered in meat not fat. Roast beef is delicious and thick and juicy. Lamb is unbelievably tasty. I know this will change my food choices when I get back to America.


3. Food continued:  England, like America, also has a lot of processed food. You could never imagine the amount and different kinds of crisps (chips) they sell here. Its not just bbq and sour cream and onion. Its prawn cocktail (shrimp flavoured) and smoky bacon and roast chicken. The amount of sweets (candy) they have is also enormous. Sweet shops everywhere. You walk in, and there are tubs and tubs of sweets that you can shovel into small bags and  take with you. At the grocery store there is an ENORMOUS aisle of just sweets. My favorite is Haribo. 





4. Pubs: I have said before that I love Pubs. I will tell you now why I love Pubs. Pubs are nothing like any bar in America that I have been to. Most are old and oddly shaped. Sometimes the tables are small and you can barely fit in. I have seen pastors in pubs, rugby players in pubs, elderly couples in pubs, young couples in pubs, dogs in pubs...etc. So many different people go to pubs. I am surprised how many people are in the pub drinking at all times of the day. Pubs have a sense of community. In Totton, when we go to a pub, Harvey's sister Grace knows almost everyone. The biggest difference is the atmosphere.






5. Pub Food: Another reason I love pubs is pub food. On Sundays for 6 pounds you can buy a Roast Dinners at most pubs. Its a heaping pile of Roast Beef, Veg, (they never say vegetables here its always veg) and Potatoes and usually comes with a pint (beer). Harvey's favorite meal as I have mentioned is Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding. Yorkshire pudding is a sweet batter when cooked is kind of like a pancake but better. My favorite meal is Fish and Chips, although I had lasagne the other day and it was amazingly delicious. The food is mostly comfort food..and what is more comforting about it is that you never take food home. You always eat your entire heaping pile of food so I never worry about eating too much. I always leave the pub feeling uncomfortably full but ridiculously happy!

Yorkshire pudding is the donut looking food

 
  6. Tea: I have to mention tea even though I think most people know that the British drink it. However, in case you don't understand how essential tea is a part of life here I will tell you that I drink a cup of tea about 4 times a day. I drink it with 2 splendas and a little milk. If one is making tea, it is rude not to ask everyone else in the vicinity if they would like a cup. Grace and James both know how I like my tea. I know how they like theirs. This is what I have noticed about tea. It is never selfish.

7. Family: I have met many people here over the age of 25 that live with their parents. I have met many people here who are in their 30s and are not married. I have met many married women who are in their 30s who have not had children. When the women in their 30's have children, they only have 1 or 2.
 In midwest America, if you are not married by 25 you are almost considered an old maid. If you do not have a child by 30 people think you are strange or believe you are never having one. It is not common to only have one child.
Families are different here. Harvey is 29 and only one of his friends has a child. He is finally at the age where his friends are getting married. I was worried when I came over that I would not relate to Harvey's friends because they are older than me but they really are not that different.


The littler things

8. Grammar: Tyres, Yoghurt, Colour. What do these words have in common? That's right. They are spelled wrong. Well, wrong to me. I don't know if I will ever get used to spelling yogurt "Yoghurt." It is just too wierd.


9. Lingo: I have given you a taste of lingo already in this post. Food has a lot of different lingo that I have noticed. Also, you never say "Can I have a Jack and Diet" when ordering Jack Daniels you say "JD and diet coke." It seems easy enough to understand but they are always confused if I say it my way.

 I will give you my favorite lingo I have noticed so far. "I can't be bothered" means "I don't want to do that," To take the piss means that you are making fun of someone. "Toilet" means "Bathroom" (I know, it sounds disgusting). People do often say bloody and bollucks. Fuck and Shit are a part of daily grammar and I have also even heard C*#t, which is too horrible."Bum" is butt..saying that you are "gutted" means that you are sad, and yes, "fag" means cigarette. If you are "fit" it means that you are attractive and a "mate" is not your significant other but your friend. If someone "winds you up" it means they are getting on your nerves. These are the most often used slang I have noticed. I have never understood what "cheeky" means. People use it in so many different contexts.
I can't force myself to say mobile phone instead of cell phone and sometimes my stubborness to keep my own lingo makes people confused about what I am saying.

 
10. Kissing:  I am horrible at kissing. As a lady who meets new people often, I should be able to recieve a cheek kiss gracefully. I can't. Usually if I meet someone new all that I can think about is if they are going to cheek kiss me and how can I get out of it. They make it complicated here. There is not a specific side that they kiss on and they don't tell you when they are going to do it. How can I help it if someone lunges at me with their lips pursed and I get completely surprised and awkwarded out?? Obviously I am semi-joking and being dramatic but I do get a bit of anxiety over the cheek kiss. I don't want people to think I am rude or for them to feel awkward just because I do.
Kissing isn't just for cheeks when you meet. Kisses are given freely in texts, emails, and fb wall posts. People xxx (kiss) on every single text they send. Like my lingo, I cannot force myself to kiss on texts or fb yet.

4 comments:

  1. See.... there will still be hope for me as a 27 year old un-wed and childless woman. You give me hope. :) Love you, and I expect 'cheeky' to be a normal part of your conversation. I love that word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to go back and hang in the pubs and eat fish and chips (and try the other gastronomic delights). You haven't mentioned much about the local pub beers...are they as good as I remember? I expect you'll never order another Bud Lite again.
    Here is the pub we spent so much time trying to find and were glad we did...
    http://www.pubs.com/main_site/pub_details.php?pub_id=150
    Check it out if you ever get close.
    Love the blog!!! Keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this on the link posted earlier about the Nags Head....gotta love it.

    This is probably the sort of pub heaven that a true Englishman dreams of going to when he dies. I was introduced to it in 1968 by my history tutor, Bob Gray, who rated it the best pub in England. I hope it never changes - or not while I'm still able to visit. I once asked an old landlord of the place, Len Cole, if he didn't think 11 o'clock in the morning was a little to early to be drinking pints of bitter. He gave me a sorrowful look and said: 'It's never too early, dear boy, but one day it will certainly be too late.' RIP Len, and long live the Nag's Head.

    ReplyDelete