Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Slugs and Festivals

I am very happy today because I finally got a phone! I ordered one from the 3 company which is one of the bigger cellphone companies here. Phones are MUCH cheaper here. I bought a new one for 50 pounds, with 15 pounds a month for all-you-can-eat 3g internet data, 300 call minutes, and 3000 texts a month. Its the best deal I have found so far. I also have applied for my National Insurance Number which is essential for me in order to get a part time job. The hardest  thing I have experienced so far is trying to find a bank to start a UK bank account, and since the weather has been horrible the past 2 days, walking to the bank is out of the question. In order to register for my classes I need to pay for my tuititon and in order to pay for my tuition I need a UK bank account. I'll let you know how that works out. 

In other news.....

This past Saturday, September 3rd was festival day! Harvey and I met another couple and headed to a Totton festival called PULSE. I wasn't sure what to expect but we knew there was a 15 pound cover charge and we looked up some of the bands that were playing. Of course, we had never heard of any of them..but it still seemed fun.
The festival reminded me so much of the Heritage Festival in Rapid City. There were 3 stages with acts playing all night (3pm to 11pm). There was face-painting, plenty of food, and drinks. The choice of drink was beer, wine, or cider. I have never been a huge fan of cider, it reminds me of hot apple cider from the holidays, and since it is alcoholic...its a little too sweet for me to drink all night. I attempted a glass of wine, but since it wasn't chilled and the British hate ice (Seriously, I can't figure out why no one uses ice here..its a problem)  I could barely swallow the wine and ended up drinking Foster's beer the rest of the night.

All in all, it was a pretty great time. The people at the festival were definitely eclectic, but the couple we were with (Chinny and Jools) are really nice people. Harvey and I are heading to Winchester on Friday, which is where Jools has an apartment. It is about 30 minutes away from Totton and from what I have heard is a historical, unique city. I am excited!

This weekend is going to be busy. Harvey works at a hotel in Southampton and his sales team is invited to a ball on Saturday night. Someone dropped out and I am allowed to be Harvey's date! At first, I was extremely nervous because I am not a "ball" person and I have no idea what to wear. Harvey reassured me and tomorrow I will head to Southampton to find accessories to wear with one of the 15 dresses I brought with me. I can't wait to blog the mishaps of my first 3 course dinner and dance.

1 comment:

  1. Umm...is that a tent where people go to find their lost children?? lol
    Do they have Bulmer's cider there? That was my fave in Ireland! So good!
    Have fun at the ball! It's like you're in Pride & Prejudice! haha

    ReplyDelete