Monday, September 12, 2011

Winchy!

On Friday, I took the train to Southampton (the large city where Harvey works and where my university is) around 5:45 and met Harvey. It takes around 10 minutes by train to get to Southampton from Totton (a suburb of Southampton where Harvey's sister lives and where we are currently residing). Hopefully, the parentheses helps everyone understand Southampton and Totton a bit better. I keep getting questions about it! Anyway, when I met Harvey at Southampton we jumped on another train that would take us to Winchester. It was around a 20 minute ride.

If I have had a favorite day/s so far, it has been Winchester. We met our friends Chinny and Jools (the couple that accompanied us to the festival last weekend) at Jool's apartment which was only a 5 minute walk from the train station. Jool's (short for Julia) has an AMAZING view of Winchester from her apartment. We ate fajita's, drank some wine, and Chinny played his guitar. We finished getting ready and headed out on the town to see Winchester nightlife around 9pm.

 

 The nightlife in Winchester was pretty calm. The bars were not empty, but by no means were they packed. It didn't matter to me though, I was captivated by how Winchester looked at night. We first stopped at a pub called alfie's. I haven't mentioned pub too much in my blog, but I LOVE pubs. After a few drinks at Alfie's, we spent the rest of the night bar-hopping and eventually headed back to Jools around 12:30. I knew I had to take it easy on Friday night because of the ball on Saturday.

Harvey, Chinny, Jools, and I woke up on Saturday morning and ate bacon sandwiches (of course) before heading out to tour Winchy, Harvey's nickname for the town. Jools family lives in Winchester, and the only things I had heard of the town was the boys poking fun at Jools for being prestigious because she had grown up here. Winchester is full of so much history. The town boasts of King Arthur's table, the fact that Jane Austen lived here, the bunkers that are now apartments that held World War 2 soldiers, and the Winchester Cathedral. I posted a link to a page on the Winchester website in case you wanted to find out more! Who wouldn't??

Since this is not a history lesson I am going to tell you what I saw in Winchester and how I saw it. First of all, the streets in Winchy are very narrow and covered in stones. The stones are gapped enough that moss grows in between them. Such a normal thing, a street, yet to me it is so beautiful! The Great Hall that holds King Arthur's table was large and ornate. My mom and I have always been a bit obsessed with stories (movies) of King Arthur and his knights, so this was a big thing for me. Outside the Great Hall there was a garden that was opened by The Queen and The Queen's Mother. Everyone laughed when I stated that I could be stepping on the same stone that The Queen, herself could have stepped on years ago when she was there. Apparently, this wasn't amazing to anyone but me. The Winchester Cathedral was beautiful, but to me it is a large church and we didn't go inside so I don't think I appreciated it as much as I probably should have. After touring the city a bit more we stopped to eat at the oldest pub in England, The Royal Oak. I had Fish and Chips (YUM!) and Harvey had a Roast Beef Yorkshire Pudding Wrap. Right before we headed home we stopped to grab some sweets (candy) at the local shop. By the time we arrived in Totton I was extremely full and needed a nap before getting ready for the ball in 3 hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment