Saturday, October 1, 2011

Fresher's week.

Fresher's week=chaos. I was a bit spoiled on the first week of school because I was only with international students. When I arrived to school on Monday of Freshers week, things were much different. It was exciting at first..being able to see the school come to life. However, things took a turn when I discovered that I would be waiting in much longer lines with obnoxious 18 year olds. This whole week was waiting in lines and trying to figure out schedules, enrollment, campus cards, etc. It was quite a frustrating week so I am glad that it is finally over.

On Wednesday night, I went out for the first time in Southampton. Harvey and I met up with his friend Stu who works at a nightclub called JUNK. Because Stu works at JUNK, he knows a lot of people at other nightclubs as well. As we were walking to the first bar called POP, we noticed huge groups of teenagers wearing white t-shirts. Apparently, Wednesday night was "Big Night Out" for the freshmen of Solent. Hundreds of freshmen boys and girls were dressed and ready to party the night away. We were literally the only non-freshers in POP. The thing that surprised me most about going out that night were the outfits that the girls wore. The freshmen guys were dressed in their t-shirts and jeans. The freshmen girls had obviously received their t-shirts, cut them up to almost nothing, and then wore the shortest shorts and the highest heels they could find. For the small amount of girls that were not dressed in their t-shirts, they were wearing even skimpier dresses.

Here is a picture of Big Night Out at JUNK.


 I realize that it must be my conservative Midwest upbringing that makes me prude(ish). That is what I blame it on anyway. Maybe by the end of the year I will break out a mini-skirt, high heels, and an extremely low cut top when I go out....then again...probably not... I will try to be less judgemental though! Anyway, the night was pretty fun. I had school in the morning and Harvey had to work so we got the train to Totton around 1.

Harvey and I are supposed to go to a wedding tomorrow in Essex. Essex is a county and is home of the TV show called "The Only Way is Essex." I love this show....and even named my blog after it. :) Unfortunately, I am unsure if we will make the wedding tomorrow. I have school on Monday and it takes 3 hours by train to get there. The train tickets are also pretty expensive. If we don't go, we might take a walk in the New Forest tomorrow or go out to dinner with a few of Harvey's friends tonight.

Sorry if my blog has been a bit boring recently, since I am going to be here for a year I figure I have enough time to do all of the things I want to do and space them out throughout the year. The weather has been really great here so I hope to do some fun things before it gets cold!

1 comment:

  1. Cool blog. We loved Windsor too. Pretty cool history. Sounds like your food experiences are better than ours were. So last blog 8 days ago? You get us addicted then don't BLOG for 8 days!? WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING. LL

    ReplyDelete