Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween!

Well, its been about 3 weeks since my last post so I have some catching up to do! In my last post I was just starting to study at Southampton Solent. Now in my 4th week of classes...I am pretty accustomed to "Uni" life. Harvey and I are still living at his sisters, but we have found an apartment and should be moving in the next week!!! It is in Southampton, by the marina, and is about a 20-30 minute walk to Solent (University). I will definitely take some pictures to show everyone once we have moved in. Honestly, October has been slightly uneventful for me here. I have been laying a bit low this month to make up for the money I will spend when I move to the apartment. (Moving is always a bit spendy!)

I have gotten over the vacation feeling that I had for the first month I was here and now I am really settling in. When I first arrived I felt uncomfortable in a lot of situations, especially being around a lot of people. Grocery shopping, the mall,  and the train station were quite daunting places. Now, however, I am completely comfortable. Sure, I still get wierd looks as soon as I order my meal..or speak aloud in class...but I am over it. I am used to the whispering as soon as I finish speaking in class or I finish ordering my meal. Not to say that everyone does it, but it does happen. The past couple of weeks I have felt a lot better and not as homesick. Since this is my blog and I have always been a pretty honest person..I feel like I can be completely honest in my thoughts. I do miss my family and my friends and it is much harder being away from everyone and everything  than I ever could have imagined. Studying abroad is an amazing experience but it is not completely easy. Don't worry though, each day gets a bit easier and the more comfortable I feel here the happier I am!!

Even though it is Halloween today, Harvey and I celebrated this weekend. I had a girl in my class today ask me what I was doing for Halloween and when I said "nothing" she asked, "Really, but wasn't Halloween invented in America?" (No joke, that happened.)  Apparently, British people have never really celebrated Halloween to an extreme until recently. (This is what I have noticed/heard). I guess I will not expect children knocking on the door for candy. :( Anyway, Harvey and I went to the party on Saturday night as Katy Perry and Russell Brand. I made the cupcake boobs myself! Everyone else at the party dressed in scary costumes because that is how people do Halloween here, Who' da thunk?






Harvey and I are traveling to Bath next weekend for a family friends' 40th birthday party. I don't know much about Bath but I will learn because we are going to see the sites on Sunday before heading home. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment