Sunday, January 15, 2012

The end...or maybe the beginning.

For me, visiting a new city and definitely a new country is completely terrifying but at the same time completely exhilarating. I have not found anything like the experience that boosts my anxiety but fuels my  happiness at the same time. For example, I am afraid of heights and elevators but I do not get any pleasure or sense of achievement from cramping myself in a tiny lift and heading 50 stories up a tall building. When I travel somewhere new however, especially somewhere completely unlike where I have been before, I feel invigorated. Deep down I am screaming with delight, even when I am trying to be calm and collected. Traveling can be definitely be addicting and there is a downside to this addiction.  Although I miss South Dakota, I know now that I won’t be satisfied there, at least this is how I feel now. I want to keep moving, seeing, learning. My sister Taryn recommended a book to me recently. Wanderlust is a story of a girl with the “lust” for travel. There are a few quotes in the book that remind me of my taste of travel so far. “Traveling makes men wiser, but less happy…..To have imagination is inevitably to be dissatisfied with where you live.”
There are some things I have not mentioned about my trip to the UAE yet.  Emirates palace is a 7 star hotel located in Abu Dhabi. If you have seen some of the pictures I have posted already, just look for gold-tinted scenes and it is probably of us at Emirates Palace. There were even real bits of gold on our cakes and cappuccinos!



Some of the best views of Abu Dhabi I had experienced were at the revolving restaurant.  Once you sat down you realized you were moving in a circular direction which didn’t help my motion sickness. Overall though, the food was delicious and the view made the experience worth it.

Harvey's dad Gerry eating at the revolving restaurant.



Saying goodbye to my “New Year” trip was difficult. I knew I had a long journey ahead of me and I also knew when I arrived back in England I would be awaiting University and cold and rainy weather. January marks 6 months of living in Southampton and while the days have disappeared unbelievably fast, I am already imagining my next step. I believe some of it is my urge to graduate. I dream of the day when the world opens up to me and I am not tied to Black Hills State or South Dakota or even America. A part might be that I know I am leaving and it is harder to stay when you know you are going to leave.  Whatever it is, with the time dwindling down there is still much for me to see.
Paris is essential. I will visit France before I leave England. I am also very keen on heading to Stockholm where my good friend Elli originates. I want to visit Scotland and Ireland. I would love to go somewhere in Italy or Greece. I also have much more of England to see. I still want to visit Bath, Manchester, and Liverpool. I need to go to London again..because I miss London! Only 5-6 months left here, the halfway mark has passed!
Me eating coldstone for the first time in 6 months!


Riding along the corniche

No comments:

Post a Comment